Saturday, February 6, 2016

February 2016 Birchbox Featured Box: Date Night


Birchbox is a subscription service that offers 5 deluxe beauty samples a month for $10. They have a featured box and a regular box. The featured box is curated by Birchbox theirselves or by a guest and you know what you are getting. The regular box differs in samples each month since it goes off of your profile. With the regular box you can pick one of your samples when they have sample choice day.

I did not choose the featured box as my regular box, but bought it from their store since I really wanted to try two samples. 


The samples include:


When I first heard about this box, I was excited for this product and really wanted to try it out. I love masks and trying different types of masks out as well as brands. I tried Whish's body butter last month and absolutely loved it and purchased a full size, so that made me really excited to try any Whish product. For my regular box I actually chose the Whish cleansing oil. This product did not have a smell.

Anyway, with this mud mask I was really disappointed. The bottle felt empty as I picked it up and it was hard to squeeze any product out, and I finally did get a little out to use. You are supposed to put a thin layer on your face and keep it on for two minutes and then rinse it off with water. I did what the directions said to do and when I took the mask off my skin felt tight and hot, and my face was really red for an hour or so. 

I will not be repurchasing this product and I am actually glad I could only get one use out of it since it made my face red, hot, and tight. I thought it was weird that I reacted to this product since I do not have sensitive skin. Did anyone who has tried this product have a reaction? 


This was another product I was really excited about. I love lip products and I think lip products bring a makeup look together and look complete. Honestly if I had to choose a few makeup products to only wear I would choose mascara and a lip product. I thought it would be very interesting to try a lip tar and I thought this color is gorgeous.

I have mixed feelings about this product. I do like that fact that this product will last for a very long time since you only need a really small dot. Also, when I swatched the product I fell even more in love with the color. 


The picture above is what the product looks swatched and is from a small dot of product. After I swatched the product I went to the bathroom to wash it off and it wouldn't come off, so then I took a makeup remover wipe and tried to get it off of my hand and that did not work. My hand had a slight pink stain for the rest of the day. This product has a minty smell.

I do not recommend using your fingers to dab on the product since I found the product to stain your hands and because it is extremely messy. I recommend using a lip brush or even a small makeup brush to put the product on. I do not have a lip brush, but I own an elf concealer brush and an ecotools detailer brush. I do not use either and they both are small brushes and worked well to put the product on. Just squeeze a very small dot onto the brush and carefully paint it onto your lips. I still find using a brush makes the product still pretty messy. 

As I wore the lip tar throughout the day I noticed it would smear really easy. If my hand accidentally swiped by my mouth it would get on my hand or on my face. I actually kissed my husband and he got some on his lips which usually happens with any of my lip products, but when he went to wipe this product off of his mouth  it got on his hand and somehow ended up on his nose. Also, the product fades unevenly throughout the day and by the end of the day you can see the dryness of your lips.

This product probably will be used here and there since it is not my favorite. If you are looking to buy an OCC lip tar I say pass on it or see how it does in a lighter color. I really do not recommend this product. 


When I first heard about this box I did not like the fact that it had a perfume sample in it. I think a lot of subscribers dread perfume samples. I have actually tried another Catherine Malandrino perfume back in my September 2015 box and I really liked the scent. With this one I actually really love this scent! 

This perfume has a light floral musky scent. The scent doesn't last long on the skin and the way you apply the perfume is with a wand. I would have personally liked it as a spray or rollerball.

I probably wouldn't buy this perfume since I have a lot of perfume sitting in my bedroom that I hardly use. It is a nice scent though and if you are looking for a nice, light scent I recommend buying this perfume.


I did not really care for this product when I first heard that this box would have an Illuminator in it. I have been contempt with using Benefit's high beam and watts up highlighters. This product did not have any scent.

This Illuminator reminds me of Benefit's high beam since it a pink, sparkly liquid. This Illuminator was in a small pouch that had an illustration on where you put the Illuminator at. If you did not know you put the Illuminator on your cheek bones, on your Cupid's bow, on your chin, on the center of your forehead near the T-zone, and you can put it under eyebrows, but I usually put some over my eyebrows. 

I actually really like this Illuminator more than Benefit's high beam since it has more of a sparkle and gives you a better dewy look. I compared both products and high beam is a light whitish pink highlighter and this one is more of a light pink color. They both have sparkles in them.

I would recommend this Illuminator if you like strobing. Also, you will get a lot of use from this product since you only need small dots to blend it in with your skin.


I have tried to other Amika hair products and have liked both. I also have tried one other blowout spray before which was the Jeff Parlor blowout spray.

This spray has a light floral beach smell to it. You lightly spritz the product in damp hair and then blow dry your hair. It did not add any extra volume in my hair, but it did cut down on the time I spent blow drying my hair. 

This product is an okay product, but I would purchase it since I feel there are better blowout sprays out there on the market.

Overall thoughts: I feel like this box is pretty disappointing, especially since this box is targeted for getting ready for a date or for Valentine's Day. The products that stand out the best to me are the perfume and Illuminator. Everything else was okay or was not great. I hope my regular February box will have better products. If you got this box what did you like? If you are not getting this box then what product are you most excited to try this month? What is everyone planning on doing for Valentines Day/Single Awareness Day? 

Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Instagram @allthingskayla.

If you are interested in Birchbox then sign up here: https://www.birchbox.com/invite/allthingskayla 



No comments:

Post a Comment