Thursday, February 25, 2016

February 2016 Birchbox

Hey everyone! Sorry I have not done a review for the past week, I have been really busy and I promise I will get back into blogging on Tuesday's and Friday's. This week I will have this post up and another one on Saturday to make it up.

Anyway, last Tuesday I got my monthly Birchbox in the mail. For those who do not know what Birchbox is, it is a monthly beauty box that is $10 and has five deluxe samples that are picked based on your profile you create during sign up. If any of you are interested in Birchbox then use this link: https://www.birchbox.com/invite/allthingskayla

Now back to the review. I chose the Whish Cleansing Oil as my sample choice.

This month's box was super cute this month. I think Birchbox has cute boxes every month.

Here is my box with the samples in it:

The theme for this month is "What's The Occassion" and I find the theme appropriate since we had Valentine's Day earlier this month.

In the box I received:


This hair serum is supposed to be nourishing to help with damaged hair. It is also supposed to not weigh the hair down. My hair is really damaged since I have been dying my hair for almost two years now due to trying to hide the white hairs and last month I highlighted my hair and that made my hair even more damaged. Plus, on top of that I cannot live without my hair straightener and I have to straighten my hair almost every day, so I need something to help revive my hair.

Will I say this helps revive damaged hair? No, I wouldn't and I haven't seen a significant difference. I think in order to fix my split ends and damaged hair, I need to slow down on dying my hair, get a haircut again, and continue to use my hair masque. However, this serum does make my hair shiny. If you want shiny hair, then this is a serum you need. It does not weigh down the hair and smells amazing. If any of you have tried the Beauty Protector line you know how amazing it smells with a musky vanilla scent. Well, this serum smells exactly like the Beauty Protector. It is a clear serum with a slight purple hue. Here is a picture of what the serum looks like on the back of my hand: 



Would I be buying this serum down the road? Maybe since I do like how it makes my dull hair look shiny. With having highlights I love hair products that make my hair shiny since it makes my highlights stand out. I'm thinking of letting my natural hair color grow back out and embrace my white hair patches at the age of twenty. Anyway, with my natural hair I have dirty blonde hair and I feel like it is a dull color so  I do like hair serums to give me that shine. However, I do like the Number 4 hair serum that I received in my first ever Birchbox six months ago. For a full size it is $38.

Here is a picture of my hair with the hair serum in it:




Arrow is the second line created by Birchbox. Their first line was LOC and they featured that line in the November box, and this month they are featuring the Arrow line. The Arrow line is for a busy lifestyle and great for the gym. Right now they have the lip balm, cooling cheek tint, and a deodorant. In the spring they will be releasing more Arrow products, and I have heard they will be releasing more LOC products down the road too. The Arrow Lip Balm was a sample choice and I noticed a lot of people still received it and a lot of people also received the Arrow Cooling Cheek Tint in Punch.

The lip balm is vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free. I appreciate that this product is gluten-free since I have celiac disease. For those who do not know what celiac disease is, it is an auto-immune disease where gluten from wheat, barley, and rye damages the stomach/intestines and causes malnutrition, GI problems, bloating, nausea, acid reflux, reproductive issues, skin issues, etc. It can also cause infertility and stomach cancer if a person continues to ingest gluten. Anyway, some people who have celiac disease are super sensitive to items with gluten with them. For some celiacs they can use makeup and hair products with gluten and not react, but cannot eat foods with gluten. I found out I am a sensitive person and cannot use hair products and makeup that contains gluten. I feel there are more hair products with gluten in it compared to makeup items. I actually had to stop using the Beauty Protector since it has wheat in it and was making me bloated and sick. Anyway, back to the review.

The lip balm is supposed to change color with your Ph. Here is a swatch of the lip balm on my wrist.


For me the lip balm did not change that much and was just a light pink on my lips. The color is very close to my natural lip color and draws more pink out of my lips. I also noticed as I wore the lip balm on my lips it did not feel smooth and I got white gunk on the inner corners of my lips. I really did not like the feeling, but it does have a hydrating feel.

Here is a picture of me wearing the lip balm: 


Sorry for the picture looking bad and my one eye being squnity, I do not know why it does that. As you can see in the picture, the lip balm did not really change color on my lips.

Would I buy this lip balm? Probably not since it is not my favorite tinted lip balm. I will continue to use my sample, but I am more of a lipstick and lip stain girl. I think the lip balm was full size this month. For a full size it costs $14.


Okay, for the last six months since I have been wanting Birchbox to put a nail polish into my box, and finally I got one!

The color I got was in That's My Jam and it a pinky red, which is totally appropriate for Valentine's Day. I was bummed that I did not get my box a few days before Valentine's Day since I would have loved to wear this color for V-Day.

I feel like the nail polish is a great size since it is a mini. I feel like I can never get through a full sized nail polish. The want on the nail polish is a great size and looks like this: 


The nail polish has great pigment. However, I have one gripe about the nail polish and that it gets really goopy when you are doing your second coat and it takes a very long time for the nail polish to dry.

I want to re-do my nails with just one coat to see how long it takes and if it gets goopy when I put a top coat on it. The nail polish starts chipping around day three or four. I think it was day five I was taking a shower and some of the nail polish started to come off and I could peel all the nail polish off of my fingers.

This is what the nail polish looks like on my fingers:


I think the nail polish color is gorgeous, but I wouldn't buy this nail polish since it can get goopy and this sample will last me forever. For a full size it costs $8.50 which is an affordable price for a nail polish.


I got the scent Liquid Frued which is a really light coconut mango scent. On the bottle it says: "Liquid Freud (when you need to turn up the volume on your voice of inner reason)" then it says emotional well-being on the bottle. The body wash also includes St. Johns Wort which is a calming herb. The body wash is cruelty free and free of sulfates, parabens, and phthalates. 

The size of the body wash sample is okay. The scent is very light and does not stay with you once you are out of the shower and it is not a super soapy body wash.

Will I buy this? Probably not and I will stick with my Dove body wash since I like how the scent stays with me. I do like the scent of the Liquid Freud and I wonder what the other scents smell like. If you like coming out of the shower and not smelling like your shower gel then go for it. I do like that the body wash is not super overpowering because when I get out of the shower I put on Whish Body Butter in Lavender and I put that all over my arms. However, I do like smelling a little bit like my shower gel and my body butter. The price for a full size is $16.


This is my third product I have sampled from Whish. Last month I tried the body butter in lavender and I actually bought a full size, and this month from the date night box I tried the mud mask, and now I have tried this product.

I feel like when I receive a Whish sample there is barely any product in the sample which is disappointing because the bottle is a nice size, but only contains one to five uses. 

Before I got this sample I never knew what a cleansing oil was and what it did. So, what you do is put the oil onto your face when you are wearing makeup and then you activate it with water and wipe it off with a wash rag. 

The cleansing oil is more like a gel when it comes out of the bottle and it is more of an oil on the face. It does take off makeup really well. You can put the oil onto your eyelids and eyelashes to take off eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara and it does it really well. 

The cleansing oil smells like mango and coconut and smells really good.

Will I buy this product? I might, but I am not sure. Usually when I take off my makeup I use makeup wipes from Equate and then I cleanse my face or put a mask on. The cost for a full size is $30.

I hope you all enjoyed this review! Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on instagram @allthingskayla and on twitter @allthingskayla1 to stay updated. 

I will be posting some fun reviews of some palettes and makeup I am about to get, and keep an eye out in March and April for those reviews. With the palettes I am getting I will include some eye looks. Would any of you want some step by step eye looks? Also, what do you all want to see on this blog? I will also be blogging on an item that I really love that is not makeup, but a lifestyle product. Hope you all enjoy my blog posts and have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment